Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Testament That Babies Prefer to be Diaper Free

Today we had a semi-catch! A poop one too! She hasn't been pooping much the last few days. She had a couple of big poops after the meconium poop was over, but then she stopped having big about-to-leak-out-of-the-diaper ones and just had little squirts. And lots of smelly gas. So today I just had some prefold diapers (AKA cloth diapers--it took me forever to figure that out) under her and was holding her in my lap. She'd been kinda fussy for a while and I was trying to help her be happy. Finally, I looked down and she had just started to poop on the cloth that was under her so I had time to give a cue. It was a big poop too! Then she peed and I gave a cue for that too. I didn't catch any of it in a tupperware, but at least I could give a cue. Afterwards, she was completely calm; a total turn-around from how she'd been acting the half hour before. I don't think it was a coincidence that after several days of little poops, a big one would come when she happened to be out of her diaper. One of the things that appealed to me about this philosophy was that Raelin and Ryker both had really bad constipation and this philosophy suggests that not using a diaper could help avoid that because the baby doesn't try to hold it indefinitely. We'll see how Alaina does, but it seems to me that she's been trying to hold it, waiting for an "appropriate" place to be provided.

While typing this post we had a pee catch too! Again she's much calmer now than she was before she went. Now she's sleeping like a.....um.....baby.

Any ideas on a cue I could use? Apparently, most people use different cues for poop and pee. I don't want to use sshhhhh for pee, which is the common cue, because we use that for white noise to calm our babies down, so I was going to use tthhhhh. But for poop, I'm stuck. Most people mimic the baby's grunting noises, but I just feel too silly doing that. The author of my book uses caca which is French for poop, but I just can't see myself out and about saying "caca" to my baby. Same thing goes for "poop." One culture I read about uses "unga, unga." I'm not sure what I think of that one. Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. It probably is a good idea to use a cue that won't make you feel odd saying it in public. Good job finding the pee cue. Maybe if you use a foreign word then people listening would just assume you are trying to make your baby bilingual.

    The verb in Chinese that means "to be born" is "chusheng" which is roughly pronounced "choo shung" if you didn't already guess. I thought you could use this word because maybe a baby having a bowel movement is a little reminiscent of a birth...? Hah. Sorry. Anyway, probably that other phrase you mentioned, "unga unga," is fine. You are so cool to be doing this, Morgan!! I miss you a lot. Wish we had class together again this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan-you know I think this is so weird, but...I totally admire you for sticking with it. While I continue to spend $80/mo on diapers, I think its time to start potty training. LOL! You're awesome! I love you! I need to come and see the little cutie...CALL ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was totally gonna comment and ask what you meant by cues?? BUt by the end I got it. Um...I have no clue. I like that chusheng word. Picking a foreign word would probably be best. I mean you aren't gonna just say it at other times ya know? Wow. You are brave to try this. Talk about a real dedication!

    ReplyDelete