Friday, January 23, 2009

Our Second Catch

Well, I haven't been working on this since the first time; busy-ness is going to be an impediment, but I'm going to just commit myself to it, busy or not, and try not to let it be an excuse to throw in the towel. We did get another catch the other day (well, the date of this post, when I started it; it's taken me a few days to get back to it and finish), but I'm starting to think that just taking the diaper off is a cue to go. I tried taking off the diaper today (Sunday) when she was sleeping and started getting restless, but she didn't go. I laid her down on some towels and after about 5 minutes or so she went. The cues to go potty, I think, are more subtle that needing to eat or sleep--no crying. But I've been trying to feed her and help her sleep before she starts to cry anyway. It's just hard to distinguish the grunting and squirming to tell if she needs to pee, needs to nurse, needs to sleep, etc. We'll keep at it though, and I'll try to be more diligent. So far, I only get to it for an hour or so every couple of days. Today we tried for quite a while and all we got was two misses. I think I need to focus on timing as well. Most people, babies included, tend to have a schedule, or so I've read. Maybe if I can combine learning a schedule, learning cues, and intuition, we'll get someplace. It's kind of discouraging to not be able to focus on this as much as I'd like, but I think Alaina appreciates not being half naked all the time. She doesn't like to be cold. I think maybe I need to set a goal. Something like an hour a day where she's not in a diaper. And also a goal to monitor and record when she goes even if I don't catch it. We'll see how this week goes! I'll try to be more consistent and more diligent. I do need to get a picture of her "in position"--it's pretty funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment